Friday, July 9, 2010

Day 1- traveling

Today I felt like I was jumping off a cliff into the unknown. Very scary! But in the end it all worked; I had safe and successful but also very boring flights.

I had to wake up super early, around 4:45 am in order to get to the airport by 6:30 am. Checked in then tried to delay my going through security so I could spend more time with my parents. The plan was to eat breakfast together but there wasn’t anything to eat outside of security so we just chilled inside a bookstore. Hugging my parents goodbye was a bittersweet moment, on one hand I wouldn’t see them for 5 weeks but on the other I was off on an adventure.

My flight to GA was boring. I tried to sleep some. In the back of each seat, everyone had their own TV but it cost $6 per movie so I said “no way!” for a short while I took out my Scandinavian travel guide and studied it. Overall, it was very uneventful.

When I landed I called my dad to reassure him I was still alive and set off to find my next gate, get food for lunch and to buy more food in case I wouldn’t like the dinner on the plane. For a very short second I got lost finding the gate. I landed in concourse B and I need to be in concourse E. But then I found what my friend Alex called the people mover and I was all good! Thanks Alex! My next mission was to find food which was really easy; there was so much to choose from. Then I called my dad once more to tell him my flight was boarding and got inline to get on the plane.

When the gate guy scanned my ticket, something flashed and he told me to wait at the desk. This worried me a lot. I thought I wouldn’t be let on the flight for some reason. But I didn’t need to worry, they only wanted to change my seat. I don’t know why but its all good because I ended up having a free seat next to me! :)

Got comfortable and soon we were off. Once we were in the air they served us drinks and dinner. The choices were chicken or pasta. I ended up getting pasta but I just picked at it since I wasn’t hungry yet. On this flight we didn’t have personal TVs so I didn’t watch anything. Oh and I think my iPod broke because I was listening and I couldn’t change the volume and also it was playing out loud and not through my headphones. I got a few rude looks from that, pretty embarrassing! But they had a whole 9 hours to forget about it so hopefully they did.

I love the feeling of being in a state where time isn’t known. For the whole time I didn’t know what time it was. I just slept when tired and ate when hungry.


dear Haley, this picture is for you. It is Haleyville…I think in Alabama.
I checked this like a million times
my lunch and dinner. I know I know, McDonalds, very bad but I was craving French fries and that was the only place selling some. So yeah also I got cheese pizza, plan pasta, bean and cheese burrito and a soda. I was all set! :)
airplane food that I didn’t really eat.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you had smooth travels to Sweden. Look forward to hearing what life is like with the Erickkson's and in Karlskrona. Did your roommate from Hong Kong make it. We will not tell anybody about McDonalds. We all miss you.

    ReplyDelete