Tuesday, July 13, 2010

7/13/10

Ok so, just like at home, the weatherman is wrong. There were no thunderstorms at all today. It didn’t even rain except for literally a few drops late in the day. So it was still hot!
I learned how to take the bus to the city center. That’s really good, now I won’t be stuck in a house all day. It cost 12 Swedish kronors which is $1.62 one way so $3.25 roundtrip. The ride is 35 mins.
I also learned that I will not get to go to Stockholm, the capital city. I'm pretty bummed about that but I guess it’s more the reason to have to come back some day, right? According to my host parents it is too far and too expensive from where I am living. Oh well!
So besides going to Karlskrona for a few hours and learning how to use the bus, I pretty much hang here all day. Sofie and Jonas came over for a bit to swim. I didn’t swim cuz it’s SO hot in the sun! Sofie is pretty cool, she’s 23 or 24.
After dinner we started talking about how education is set up in each country (Sweden, Hong Kong, USA) in Sweden the student gets 2000 Swedish kronors or something like that each month! Wow its cuz they have high taxes. Somehow we started talking about religion. I know, probably a bad idea. They have a very different view then I do. It was interesting. I’ve never met someone with such strong views that are opposite of mine. Don’t worry, I was VERY careful with choosing my words cuz I have more control over the English language then they do. So I made sure I said exactly what I wanted and didn’t “put words in their mouths”. And I tried not to shoot down their beliefs since I try to respect others beliefs. I got a very different view, that’s for sure!

3 comments:

  1. I always have 2 rules for myself when I am traveling. "Never talk about Politics or Religion" - lol. Auntie P & I were reading your blog together. We're vicariously living through you. Keep them coming. Someday we can take a roadtrip to Stockholm. Keep enjoying your time there. Don't eat all the American Mac & Cheese :-) Love A & U

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'll tell you about what about religion we were talking about when i get back...i sure did find it interesting. and it's not like i set out to start a convo bout religion and i was telling myself that rule in my head the whole time!

    ReplyDelete